This page contains information on ancient India facts, facts about ancient India and facts on ancient India.
Ancient India Facts
- According to Greek philosophers slavery did not exist in ancient India.
- Aryabhatta, the great astronomer and scientist, discovered zero. The number system was also invented in ancient India.
- The Indus valley civilization was one of the most advance civilizations in terms of town planning etc.
- During the ancient period there were many famous and important centers of learning in India- Taxila and Nalanda, where thousands of students from all over studied different subjects.
- The earliest school of medicine known to humans is Ayurveda. Ayurveda was developed mainly by Charaka, the great Indian physician, during ancient times. It is the only system which takes the holistic view of the person being treated.
- India was known as golden bird because of her wealth. The later invaders came to India in search of wealth.
- Bhaskaracharya, the great astronomer and mathematician of ancient India, was the first person to calculate the time taken by the earth to orbit the sun.
- It was during the 6th century that Budhayana first calculated the value of pie and explained the concept of Pythagoras theorem.
- It is interesting to note that ancient India was so advanced in science and mathematics that Algebra, trigonometry and calculus all came from India. In the 11th century Sridharacharya propounded the Quadratic equations.
- Ancient Indians had a well developed concept of water harvesting. The earliest reservoir and dam for irrigation was built in Saurashtra. This lake was called Sudarshana and built by the Shaka king, Rudradaman.
- Chess was a popular game in ancient India.
- The great physician of ancient India, Sushruta conducted complicated surgeries like cesareans, cataract, artificial limbs, fractures, stones, plastic surgery and brain surgery.
- Usage of anesthesia was well known in ancient India.