This page contains information on
ancient India facts, facts about ancient India and facts on ancient
Ancient India Facts
- According to Greek philosophers slavery did not exist in ancient
- Aryabhatta, the great astronomer and scientist, discovered zero.
The number system was also invented in ancient India.
- The Indus valley civilization was one of the most advance
civilizations in terms of town planning etc.
- During the ancient period there were many famous and important
centers of learning in India- Taxila and Nalanda, where thousands of
students from all over studied different subjects.
- The earliest school of medicine known to humans is Ayurveda.
Ayurveda was developed mainly by Charaka, the great Indian
physician, during ancient times. It is the only system which takes
the holistic view of the person being treated.
- India was known as golden bird because of her wealth. The later
invaders came to India in search of wealth.
- Bhaskaracharya, the great astronomer and mathematician of ancient
India, was the first person to calculate the time taken by the earth
to orbit the sun.
- It was during the 6th century that Budhayana first calculated the
value of pie and explained the concept of Pythagoras theorem.
- It is interesting to note that ancient India was so advanced in
science and mathematics that Algebra, trigonometry and calculus all
came from India. In the 11th century Sridharacharya propounded the
- Ancient Indians had a well developed concept of water harvesting.
The earliest reservoir and dam for irrigation was built in
Saurashtra. This lake was called Sudarshana and built by the Shaka
- Chess was a popular game in ancient India.
- The great physician of ancient India, Sushruta conducted
complicated surgeries like cesareans, cataract, artificial limbs,
fractures, stones, plastic surgery and brain surgery.
- Usage of anesthesia was well known in ancient India.